Thursday, August 27, 2009

School Is In

Elijah went back to school on Monday. For his first two years in Preschool I dressed him in his Sunday best for the first day with his glasses and his hair slicked to the side. The purpose: So that his teachers would fall in love with him and it would cushion the blow of his actual behavior that would set in soon after the initial meeting. Well this year his teacher saw through the facade. It did not keep her from telling me all of the naughty things Elijah did such as not responding to his name, kicking a little girl under the table, crawling under tables and chairs instead of sitting with his class in circle time... I'm still trying really hard to make things work out for him, his teacher, and me. As we were going to our car after school yesterday there was a bus parked next to us that was full of children. The bus driver was MIA and the students of various ages were left unsupervised. Of course there was noisy ruckus streaming out the windows. I asked Elijah, "Are those kids being good?" He said, "No, they are being bad." Precisely. I took advantage of the moment and threatened, "That's right and if you don't start listening to your teacher they're going to take you out of the class and put you with those kids!"
Rachel and Tiffany have begun some fun little classes as well. I thought it would be beneficial to enroll them in the Early Preschool Skills class at the rec center. They are both in the same class and it's so cute! While some mothers come with one child and their mom (ratio 2 adults: 1 child), I am there working with two little girls. They are learning how to cut, glue, sing, etc. Since they also love to dance, I put them in a Musikidz class together. Rachel goes bizerk in there. There is this one song where the kids walk, walk, walk, and stop! Tiffany puts her hands palms down and says, "pots!" Oh they make me smile!
Tonight Elijah has a Jedi Knight Apprentice class to go to. He is going to LOVE it since he will be with a bunch of boys where it's okay to fight. Man, that's just the activity he needs.
And for me, I really want to read, sew, and garden now that my oldest is in school. I can breeeeeeath! Weeeeee!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Love your new blog look and your quote in the header!
I too am enjoying school this year. Our extra little classes start in a couple of weeks. What I've noticed most so far is that now, when we are all finally all together, it is so much more sweet. I think we have been taking each other for granted.

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

I know how you feel! I'm glad most of my crew is back in school! Time Out for Women, go to deseretbook.com/tofw
let me know it would be fun!

Salena said...

I'm glad to know that one of the moms I most look up to has a rowdy kid too. I always feel the need to warn the teachers so they are prepared for the possibilities. Though she is slowly improving. Guess it takes time. Keep up the good work I enjoy your posts.
SG

Natalie said...

Hang in there and remember that Elijah desires to be good - I don't believe that the negative feedback that usually corrects children's behavior works for everybody. I can tell you that behavior modification and medication (a very personal decision) have made a world of difference at our house. I can honestly say that on any given day I don't know which of my boys will be the naughty one - and I love that! Keep trying and you will find the answers!