I have a control issue. I wake up every morning anxious about the day because I know the kids are going to fight and cry and I'm going to try to fix, prevent, meet needs, discipline, and eventually get worn out. Each second I lie in bed staring up at the ceiling I know it's getting closer to the children all waking up and I have to hurry to the shower, but I don't want to move incase I wake them up just a few minutes early. So I'm frozen. Does anyone else know the feeling?
I decided I didn't like the feeling today and I wanted it to go away. So I prayed and pondered for a bit. I reflected on my larger than usual Sunday School class yesterday. I knew I wasn't going to be able to keep control over the students, so I just went with it. I don't know about them, but I had so much fun. So I likened that with my day and how I was going to approach life.
I pictured myself going around trying to control all of the things around me and what I saw was someone who had lost control of herself. Then I created a new image of me. One who was not going to get ruffled by the things going on around her, but who would have strong inner peace and make her own decisions on how she would respond or if she would respond.
I was blessed with a few chances today to just go with it. When things didn't go my way I decided to do something else that worked instead of trying to force things my way. (Forcing never really works because it causes frustration, battling, and exhaustion. Not worth it.) So, again, I ended up having a fun day.
Two scriptures to help with a controlling flaw:
Proverbs 16:32 "He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city."
2 Nephi 2:13 "...to act, not to be acted upon..."
I realized, it's easier to guide and lead than it is to push. I guess I really needed to be more flexible and willing to change courses during the day. Well, it worked :>
3 comments:
I lie in bed every morning dreading the fateful words that I know will come "mama, butt change!" Acompanied with the smell of poop. I can handle diaper changes any other time of the day, I just don't like starting my day off with them. Or being woken up just to changhe a diaper. Ugh. So I'm trying to fix it by going to the gym first thing in the morning before they wake up. Then, I come home all refreshed and ready to handle everything, and isaac has already taken care of the morning diaper changes. :) so you are not alone.
I love it! Thanks for your wisdom I am going to try harder too. It seems to be our # 1 battle in this household especially with our oldest. Thank you!
Salena
Totally know that feeling. My worst is when they wake up fighting. That sucks the life right out of me. You are not alone! I find that prayer is a great resource as well. I also found a lot of help as far as dealing calmly and rationally with consequences by picking Julie's brain about Love and Logic and attending a couple classes my self. Hang in there. "...for I know the Lord giveth NO CHILDREN unto the mommies save he shall prepare a way..." :)
Post a Comment