Saturday, February 14, 2009

Inexspensive Date Night!

Okay, it's been a long time sinse I've gone grocery shopping with my husband. I usually have three rugrats tagging along with me. And I've never been a sale or coupon shopper... I know, I know - not too wise. Well if you read my New Years Resolution post then you know I am trying to stay within the weekly budget Ben has set for our family of $100.00. This includes our food, cleaning supplies, baby items, and toilettries. So Ben and I went out to three stores Smith's, Vons, and Food 4 Less. We bought a TON of groceries stocking up on milk, juice, cereal, meat, fruits and veggies, even some toilet paper and NyQuil, bread, fruit snacks, and more. We spent $99.00, then went to Dairy Queen (and used a coupon!) Our dates usually cost at least $40 for dinner and a movie and $30 for the babysitter. We saved money this week and had so much fun. We searched up and down the frozen foods aisle for Hot Pockets because they were $1.49 and when we found them I tossed one in the basket. Ben's like, "You're just going to get one?" "Budget," I said, "We have to stick to the budget!" Anyway, I am having a very interesting and educational coupon class on Tuesday March 24th at 7 p.m. If you have a goal to save money or beef up your food storage, come on over. We may make grocery shopping our new date night ritual!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will love that class. Go to Raising Redheads on my blog. My friend Amy loves it!! She has pictures of the groceries she bought and how much she spent. I'm so proud of you working out. In a couple of months you will just shed off the unwanted weight if you stick to it. I LOVE going with Darris to the gym. We go every Saturday and holidays. I can't wait to go with him everyday during the summer. You need to post the before and after pictures. :) Thanks for all the wonderful comments. You're such a sweet person. I love how you always see the good in everyone and look past their mistakes....or my mistakes at least. :)

Jill said...

Oh, I would love to come! My friend is having one next week, but I can't make it. This is perfect.

Darrell and Alissa said...

I honestly think grocery shopping is more fun with the husband. I don't spend near as much, and it's kind of fun. Darrell will do the shopping sometimes, he always can stay in budget, and is usally under- I always am at least $20 over budget and have managed to forget a few things. I figured out why- I usually have kids with me, and you can't completely focus on jsut getting your groceries- you have to pay attention to them and when they pick something up and put it in the cart trying to help, in the end it all adds up. We were at the $100 a week for a long time- thank heavens for raises! It's hard to get everything, but it is possible, it just takes so much stinkin time and energy!! Have I ever mentioned I have a love hate relationship with budgets?!

Anonymous said...

The book is at Walmart and Target. I don't have time for Barnes and Noble. I went to my Itunes account and it was number #1 on their audio list. So, far I like the book. It is a Christian story line.

Tiffany said...

I seriously need to do this! I am trying but don't quite have the hang of it yet!!! UGH! I am dying to try!! Congrats to you on saving money! It's so fun and feels so good when you get the hang of it!!! Yahoo for you!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you took my advise and shopped kid free....