Monday, August 18, 2008

Conference Talk

* In preparation for this assignment, I knelt to pray to my heavenly father. When I opened my eyes at the end of the offered prayer, I looked up and saw a temple dress that I had sewn two years ago, our current family picture, and a statuette of a woman who was full-term with child. Those things represent to me temple and family and it was a very inspiring place to be.


In order that ye may Progress

I believe that the spiritual purpose of life is to learn to know our Father in Heaven and the Savior Jesus Christ and to strive to become like them. To gain a firm testimony of the gospel and to forsake those things that would keep us from developing spiritually. So that when we see our reflections in the mirror, we can hear the words, “Son (or) daughter, thy sins are forgiven thee so that thou canst progress.”

Progression comes in stages as the scriptures tell us in D & C 98:12 For He will give unto the faithful line upon line, precept upon precept; and will try you and prove you herewith. A precept is a doctrine, law, or principle.

I signed up for a martial arts class 18 months ago. At the beginning of my journey, I was capable of learning only so much at a time. I had to coordinate different limbs in ways that I was not used to. As I progressed I could do more things simultaneously, but even when I achieved the next rank, there were still so many details I needed to pay attention to. I have come to understand that as my instructors keep reminding me to have fists tucked in, heels towards my target, thrust as I kick frontward and much more; that it is going to take many years of diligent and persistent effort attending my classes and being reminded by my instructors, also much practice and focus to finally attain the degree of a black belt.

So it is with many great things we wish to accomplish while here on earth. We will have to be focused and work diligently along the path towards our Heavenly Father.

One such path was spoken of by Nephi who had a vision of an iron rod that went directly through a mist of darkness and lead him to a tree which was the love of God which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, is the most desirable above all things. As Nephi’s vision continued, he saw the Redeemer of the world, he held to the rod and when he reached the tree, he partook of its fruit and desired that all of his family be there and partake also.

In our lives we are on a path and it is our ultimate goal to make it into the presence of our Heavenly Father and be worthy to reside with him for all eternity. We participated in the great conflict in the premortal world for the privilege of being part of an eternal family. But we couldn’t progress until we came to earth and obtained a body. Adam and Eve were given many wonderful things in the Garden of Eden, but they could not progress in a sense. I believe that Eve desired to have a family. She had great faith and courage, and sacrificed to become mortal. We too must have faith, courage, and sacrifice to be in tune with the Lord to receive personal revelation regarding our families.

The Lord has promised us many blessings including that of posterity if we keep the covenants we have made with Him.

When Sister Susan W. Tanner was first married, her husband received a priesthood blessing from her father. I believe it is worthy of noting and sharing with you. It said, “Follow the gospel principles. Do what you know you should. The way will be opened up, ways that are unforeseen to you right now.”

When Brother Taylor and I were first married nearly nine years ago we desired to have children, but none came. Four years went by. One Mother’s Day I was sitting in sacrament and a prompting came to me, “Just because you can’t bear children does not mean you are not required to seek them out.” When that prompting came, we soon found ourselves in LDS Family Services meeting with the agency director to pick up adoption paperwork and later that same year; our first son came into our family. Our next child came when I wanted to be pregnant so badly, that I prayed everyday for months for a miracle to happen. We came upon the opportunity to do a medical procedure. When we invited our Bishop to come to our home and assist my husband in administering a blessing, after the blessing he tearfully told us, “This is going to work because it is a righteous desire and Heavenly Father wants His children to come to good families.” Our baby girl was born and we were so happy for the addition. Eight months later I received somewhat of a revelation that another child would be born to us, but this required me to stop nursing. Did I believe this revelation? I did, and a month later, we were expecting our third child. The way was opened up to us and each time it was a different way.

Now it is not easy having three small children in a row. Sister Julie B. Beck has counseled us to get a pattern down and adapt it, or modify it when necessary. President Boyd K. Packer has acknowledged that it is not easy to establish a family in this life and to raise children. He says, “With the church you find the help you need. When there are times we need help, there is always a priesthood file leader. If we follow them, we’ll get safely through modern life with our children and grandchildren.”

My husband’s mother always makes a valiant effort to communicate with each of her 11 children and invite us and our families to a Sunday dinner at least once a month. The family unity that we have built over the years is strong and has a spiritual foundation. It is always there around the dinner table and living room that we have discussions about the church, our lessons, our leaders and so forth. Our knowledge grows from one another and our testimonies are strengthened. As Elder Holland described, our mother has truly encouraged us to seek the destiny that is ours.

We want to live with Heavenly Father. We want to continue to progress. We want to be together with our families. Just like the word”together”, we have “to” “get” “ther” -“together”. In the temple, families become eternal. You will find answers, revelations, and resolutions for your family when you are inside of its sacred walls. Brother Holland says we need to protect the family as a unit. Perhaps the most important thing we can do for our families is to create a bastion of safety and peace in our homes where those who enter will be safe from the things of the world. I often repeat to myself, “The most important purpose you have is to ensure that your husband and children are loved, cared for and nurtured. Anything that takes precedence over them is a deterrent from your ultimate goal.” We must stay true to the principles that will separate us from the dangers of the world. Peter has counseled us to “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour.”

Go to the temple so that you can know Heavenly Father’s will for you. He will reveal the line or precept that will propel you forward on your path. As it says in the well-known primary hymn “I AM A Child of God” –“Teach me all that I must do, to live with him some day.” Brothers and sisters all we need to know is here, we just need to do these things. I am so grateful for all of you who are examples of Christ’s love to me. We must aspire to continually come unto Christ and become spiritually refined. As recorded in
D & C 128:24 …

I have a testimony that through making covenants with our Heavenly Father and living the principles of the gospel, that He will bless us that we will be prepared as we progress towards our eternal potential. This life is the time to prepare to meet God; yea, the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors. Last night I had the privilege of being part of a sacred experience. My very good friend gave birth to her third child. After 40 hours of labor it wasn’t until she rested that when her eyes opened she was ready to deliver her baby. I know that when we come unto the Lord and find rest in him, we are able to perform our labors as well. And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did marry into a great family!!!

BrieAnn said...

Thanks for posting this, I was so curious about how it all came together. I love how you mention that there are many paths toward progression and then narrow in on being part of an eternal family. I also appreciate the note of preparation.