I'd like to follow up on my New Years Resolutions for 2009.
I have always made one resolution each year that even if it wasn't kept to perfection, definately changed a habbit.
For 2009 I had one major goal and then a four-part smaller set of goals.
1. To stay with-in the weekly budget of $100.00
No way. I tried carrying cash but definately feel more comfortable having all methods of payment on hand. I tried to write everything down but spent faster than I could keep up with the record-keeping. I took a coupon class and tried going that route but found that it's just easier to make my list and shop that way than it is to take the time to prepare by looking online and clipping coupons and then travelling to specific stores. I know my grocery store and everything that is on every aisle. I know I need to have better spending habbits, but instead of limiting myself monitarily I've got to base my spending on other things such as "do you need it or just want it? Do you need it now or can you wait?" Our needs change from week to week.
2. Social: Visit one old friend a month.
I think I got in touch with one person. I do believe that it is important to keep friendship ties, but I think it is more convenient to do it online (Facebook or Blogs). I think it is more realistic to make a lunch date once a month with someone within your vicinity. It is definately important to get out and socialize.
3. Physical: To lose 30 lbs. in 3 months
Are we all laughing now? I thought I would write everything down that I ate and work-out everyday. I actually lost 10 lbs. and that's about it. It took me three months just to lose that. Once I stopped writing things down and got busy doing other things rather than going to the gym each day, I just maintained the weight I'm at.
4. Spiritual: To go to the temple 30 times this year.
I didn't write it down. I don't know if there is a way the brothers at the front desk can scan my reccommend and tell me how many times I attended this year. I was trying to go every other Tuesday with my sister. I know I went at least once each month.
5. Mental: Follow a daily routine with my children.
Done. When Ben was called as the Bishop my Stake President's wife gave me a very helpful piece of advice, "make and keep a routine as soon as you can." It makes nap time and bedtime a lot easier.
Okay, so my thoughts are this: Did it help to have goals? Yes, because I put more effort towards things that were important to me and I did see a small difference. One thing I learned that helps me to accomplish goals is to WRITE THINGS DOWN... KEEP RECORDS.
I also would not have more than ONE goal as my New Years Resolution. Each of my goals could have been met if I solely focused on one at a time. I learned things about myself. I grew in some areas. I've had fun experiences.
Now I have something I want to work on diligently through 2010. As you ponder on your own past year and contemplate on a resolution for 2010, I'd like you to share your thoughts and experiences with me. To read about my 2010 Resolution, see my blog www.702mommyclub.blogspot.com
4 comments:
I just blogged about my year as well. I love reading all your goals, I need to make more I think!
I love it Audrey!!
Hey, maybe we can't always do as well as we'd like when reaching goals, but you were able to cross one off your list! i rarely can say that at the end of the year!
This was awesome! I'm typically WAY into resolutions, but am gonna try today to go a little less hard-core on resolutions this year. <3 ya girlie!! =) Kali
Post a Comment