Thursday, July 2, 2009

Needed That, Nelson

I have a few more books I need to add to my Shelfari bookshelf. I finished Joseph Smith's Lectures on Faith last night and picked up Ben's copy of Perfection Pending by Russell M Nelson.
I had a difficult month in June adjusting to having my high-energy son home from school full-time, not being able to work out due to Rachel's suspension for hitting kids, Ben being at work for 14 hours most days submitting a project and then out of town for scout camp and girls camp, also had to study and take a test pertaining to my teaching license, and horrible premenstraul hormones! Phew! Glad that time is over (I can fly to the back of the line now....)
Elder Nelson read the New Testament in English and Greek and then interpreted some things to help us as readers and Latter-Day-Saints have a new perspective on expectations the Lord has of us. The word perfect was translated from a Greek word that Nelson tells us means- complete, end, to reach a distant end, to be fully developed, to finish. Page 5, he says, "Please note that the word does not imply 'freedom from error'; it implies 'achieving a distant objective'." I don't know about you but when I am struggling and second-guessing myself assuming that my Heavenly Father is disappointed in me it really helps to know that what matters is that I'm doing the best I can at the tasks He has given me. So in the end I can say even though I made mistakes that I did it! Furthermore the Savior knows we can do it because He did. We are so blessed to have the gospel fully restored so that we might have everything we need to obtain salvation. We can come to know the attributes of God the Father and Jesus Christ through the scriptures, we have temples in which we can make the needed covenants with God to eventually return to His presence one day, and we have our leaders and priesthood authority who testify and witness of the truthfulness of all of these things.
I got down and my faith weakened. I prayed to Heavenly Father to help me to know that what I have been taught is true. There is so much to an answer. I sought out what I needed. One Sunday I chased my husband down for a blessing. I didn't want to doubt. After much reading of inspired compilations and scriptures, fasting and prayer, temple attendance, studying my patriarchal blessing and most importantly making the choice to exhibit faith... This was the tryingest time I have had in a long time. I knew that at some point in these latter-days we all have to have a firm testimony of our own. I feel fortified and assured that every single bit of the gospel is true. It's been a long time since I've been able to sit at the computer, but I'm here and I'm grateful to share this experience with you. I hope you know that you are in the middle of your distant objectives and that Heavenly Father loves you. He has the strength to get you through; you have the power, which is the choice to exercise faith.

No comments: