Last night Ben was at the temple with the youth doing baptisms. I had three sick, snotty, throwing up little kids that were so tired. As I was bathing them Tiffany was trying to crawl up me, screaming the whole time I bathed her and her siblings. Elijah was screaming because he didn't want me washing his hair, he was afraid soap would get in his eyes even though it wasn't. When it was Rachel's turn, she didn't want me to wash her because she wanted to play so she just kept kicking and wiggling, getting water all over me and the floor. I thought, "If Ben could see what I do when he isn't here..." Then I pictured myself hunched over the bathtub listening to crying, splashing kids, trying to bath them. I said, "Heavenly Father, how am I doing this?" Because I wasn't mad at the kids, I just wanted to get it done. And then I felt the goosebumps rise on my arms and pictured a conduit opening up from the heavens with about 4-6 angels nearby me.
We work. Mother's work so hard to keep order and harmony in the home while doing their best to feed and play with the children, do constant dishes and laundry, read our scriptures, run errands, and take care of ourselves. I get up at 6 a.m. to make sure I read my scriptures each day. After the children go to bed between 8 and 9, I am up straightening and finishing chores. All through the night when our children wake up, we are up with them for varying reasons. I do believe we work harder and with more longevity than any other person or accupation on this earth. We were so specially designed to endure physical stresses, emotional tensions, and mental stretches all simultaneously. (I say stretch because we have to really reach to find answers to questions and creative ways to deal with behavior and or motivate ourselves and our children.) No wonder at all the quote, "Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels." -Messages from the First Presidency "... if you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates." Joseph Smith
13 comments:
wow audrey. you hit the nail on the head!
thanks.
And I know you are a wonderful mother.
That was beautiful, like always I love reading your blog. Thank you for appreciating what we all go through as mothers!
Thats a really great quote. I've never heard it before. Hope youre doing good! Miss you!
Thanks for sharing Audrey. We mothers put up with a lot! We need the help for sure.
I surely know what you mean. Sometimes as I'm scraping blackberry seeds off of my kid's poopy butt or chiseling dried cheerios off of a bowl I wonder...is this really what I'm meant for? But I always get a reassurance that these little babies are more important than anything else. I'm glad you got a sweet reassurance during your hard time. You are awesome!
It's always so grea tto be reiminded of the promises we are given as mothers!
Sniff,sniff!! That was AWESOME!!! We mothers are so great! Thanks for that post!!! I just LOVE coming to your blog!!!!
so true! SO true! We simply could not do it alone!
Motherhood is definately not for the faint of heart, but it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done.
Can you give me your number again?
Ok, I just found your number. I picked up the phone and saw it was after 9. I will try and call tomorrow.
That was such a great post!!! I totally have goose bumps. It's so true. How could we ever do our job with out attending angels. Its harder than we ever anticipate and just as rewarding.
Post a Comment