Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bad Economy = Bad News

I am nauseous now. Ben came home from work and told me that there were many people from his company who were laid off today. Today! There was Justin, a project manager, who is LDS, has a wife and small children that lives in UT taking care of his sick parents. There was Little John who worked for the company for over 20 years and has a wheelchair bound wife. I said, "Ben, that means NO medical insurance as of today. These people aren't going to be able to make their mortgages or find new jobs. Ben, would you be crying right now?" He said, "YEAH, I'd be crying. People were cleaning out their desks." I said, "Isn't there something we can do for these people?" Ben- "No one is immune from the economy."
This is the day where we are going to have to employ our services, skills, abilities, talents and such to help one another. I'm thinking we're the fourth generation from the great depression; we're at the top of the pride cycle living affluent lives dressing in fine clothing, complacent attitudes. Tis the season of the year and of our lives to remember the Savior and heed the words of the prophets.
One day I made a list What do I have to offer?
-Self Defense
-Patience with challenging children
-The ability to listen to and comfort others
-Sewing
-Cooking
-Kerosene lamps
-Outhouse use
-Record keeping
And another list of What I'd like to learn to survive.
-Jarring food
-Gardening
-Dutch oven use
-Firearms
Besides food and water use and storage, things that we need to store up on are:
-Cleaning supplies
-Toiletries
-Childrens clothes and supplies (diapers, wipes, formula)
-First Aid

Think of these things when you are shopping for family and friends this Christmas.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Great lists! We should would work on the firearms thing together. Maybe a double date at the shooting range. I don't know about Ben, but Chuck would love it. I'll call you soon and we'll do those gingerbread houses or something:)

Catherine Noorda said...

here are other things that you have to offer:

being a good friend
lifting peoples' spirits by your beautiful singing
your love towards others
your beautiful smile
your example
your backyard pool just in case people need a stress relief during the summer :)

love,

cat

thecustercrew said...

I can teach you jarring food and dutch ovens. I used to fire guns when I was a kid, but I am a bit rusty. I had actually decided that it was something I needed to brush up on and I wanted my kids to learn how as well. We are going to use Kymbers air pistol
We should learn together

Tiffany said...

That makes me so sick!!! My heart just breaks for those people! And by the way.... you are such an amazing writer!

i said...

well said audrey! i totally agree!
i have a generator to plug our toasters into...j/k :0P

1..2..3..Painter Team said...

If anybody every need children clothes send them to my mom-we all give them to her to store & rotte betwen counins. But yes nobody is immuned to the economy & it is hard to just from leving affluent to simple lives but I know WE can do it & still love life!