Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"I just want to sustain him."

and, "I just want to take care of my family and home so that when my husband enters the doors to our home he can feel Heavenly Father's love for him and have the strength to go back out to where the Lord wants him to go." These were the opening comments to the testimony I was called up to give by the Stake President on Sunday just after my husband was sustained as the new Bishop of our ward.
My brother Loren gave me the best advice, to get used to doing it without Ben. Michelle Hastings also contributed to the things I'll remember which is to establish a schedule. Last night and tonight were the first nights I've had the children by myself all day, prepared dinner, welcomed Ben home from work at 5:30, kissed him goodbye at 6:00, and put the kids in the bath and bed all by myself. I feel pretty good because I am honestly a better mother when I am not expecting Ben to come home and take duties over. I am more patient, positive, and on the ball getting things done. My house has been cleaner this week because I do everything after the kids go to bed and before they wake up so I can spend the day with them.
It was so rewarding to get everyone asleep by 8:00 and go sit in the spa. The quietness, stars, trees, and streetlight are so peaceful. I feel closer to my Heavenly Father during those nature outings. I thought I could call it "Me and Thee" time. Anyway, I came back inside to dry off and get on the computer. Leaving the lights off so to not wake up the kids, I was carrying my towel in one hand and a laundry basket in the other and my foot rolled over a toy sending it under my other foot so when I stepped down to catch my balance I stepped on it again and tumbled to the floor. I was pretty graceful. The clothes stayed in the basket, my knee got hurt, but I'm okay.
Well, that's all the big news I have today.

14 comments:

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Okay, why wasn't this told to the rest of us? I'm so happy for you guys. Is that what we're supposed to say? I don't know. How do you guys feel about all this? I'm going to say congratulations anway.

You have such a good attitude about it. I'm not sure I would be able to do that.

I'm excited to seee you guys at Thanksgiving. (I know a lot of this doesn't make much sense)

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

I was just joking! He probably did e-mail me. I don't check it very often. I talked to my mom yesterday and she told me. I was just giving you a hard time! Love you guys. We'll keep you in our prayers!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness Audrey. This is going to be a challenge for you!

If there is anyone to take advice from it's Michele Hastings. I've known her since I was 6. Their daughter and I were best friends most of my life. Danny became the bishop I think before I was 8 so that means they had lots of little tiny kids they had 6 all together. She always sat in church by herself. until he got relased from being Bishop and then he got called to be the Stake President. They are wonderful people.

Sarah said...

BTW do you have access to my blog? If not then email me at prestonandsarah{at}gmail{dot}com

Tara said...

You'll do great as a Bishop's wife and I am sure he knows you will sustain him. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't break a leg! We all knew Ben would be a Bishop someday.....he is kind, has a strong testimony, compassionate, and patient.

Darrell and Alissa said...

Wow! What an incredible belessing your family recieved- just keep telling yourself that when you have a Sunday that NONE of your kids are quiet and Ben has to sit and watch you struggle- and of course try not to laugh! So, I didn't know this news either- I guess I should call home more often!! Congrats- I know Ben will be inspired and you will be blessed to handle all the challenges- you already got one by not breaking your foot again!!

Jill Johnson said...

I find that on sunday morning I can get to church on time because I do it alone. If Aaron happens to be home we are late every time. It is easier to know what you have to do and just do it yourself.

I spend a lot of time alone with my kids. Aaron works a ton and is YM pres. My advice, don't ever expect them around. When they are you will be pleasently surprised! Tell Ben congrats! You two are amazing.

Jill said...

I think you have the pefect attitude. My husbands work schedule is opposite of most and we own a business that takes up a good amount of time as well, so yeah, you just gotta do it yourself. But you guys will have such an increase of the spirit both from your own merits, and from the prayers of everyone in your ward. You have the power to make it a magical time and grow so much from it. That is wonderful. I am excited to learn from you even more.

Kevin and Natali McKee said...

Sorry about your fall but congrats on the rest!! Ben is called of God and couldn't do it without you. The spa sounds peaceful.

Dan and Sharon said...

Audrey,

I remember when we were all in the big UNLV ward and we needed an Elders Quorum President to sit in the front of one of the overflow rooms we set up for sacrament. We needed Ben one of those Sundays and I remember your facial expression when I told you wouldn’t get to sit by your sweetheart during sacrament meeting. You were not pleased. I also remember Garth Abbott telling you that one day Ben’s position in the church would require more than an hour of separation during church (I remember your positive reaction to that one). I know that in years since then, the Lord has prepared you for this great challenge, Audrey. Your sacrifice to support a Judge in Israel will not go unnoticed by the Lord.

Please give Ben my most sincere congratulations for a job well done to be given this calling.

Good luck to both of you,
Dan

i said...

holy cow audrey!!!!! you can do it! what a woman you are! good luck to you both!

1..2..3..Painter Team said...

How wonderful-I can't belief WE are Old enough to have husband's in the bishopric. You are AWESOME-Congrats & I am jealous! I know good will grant you all the strenght you need. I miss you!

-KJ said...

How awesome! I can't imagine you being anything but supportive. I am sure there will be some long days for the both of you, but you will be so blessed for your hard work and faith!