Thursday, July 10, 2008

Weather the Storm


As I sat rocking Tiffany tonight, I heard the wind go by the window outside. We are expected to get rain Saturday and Sunday. The question entered my mind, "Are you prepared to weather the storm?" Then I asked myself, "What kind of storm?" Because there are physical natural storms that we build up our years supply for. That reminds me of my lovely sister-in-law who lives in Arkansas and the frightening weather she has to endure with her husband and three small daughters. There are also Spiritual storms as illustrated in Helaman 5:12 ~...it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds...whirlwinds...hail and his migthy storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you...because of the rock upon which ye are built...a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.~ Such preparation requires daily prayer, personal scripture study, regular temple attendance, and striving to make the right choices every day, following the promptings of the Holy Ghost instead of brushing them aside. What other storms can you think of???

I asked Ben what it means to weather the storm. He said, "To ride it out; to bare the burden." Thankfully we do not have to do that alone. We have a Heavenly Father who loves us and blesses us. We have the Holy Comforter. And the Savior who can make our burdens lighter if we come unto Him. We also have one another who are "willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light...to mourn with those that mourn...and comfort those that stand in need of comfort..." as stated in Mosiah 18:8-9.

I recently said to Ben that when I have raised my children, if I have followed the promptings of the Holy Ghost and have done the best I could, I will be happy and at peace with what I've done. Because I do not think that you can go wrong if you act on those promptings.

I was following Ben in the car and he stuck his arm out the window. I drove up alongside him and he said, "slow down". A few seconds later we drove past a bike officer. Ben knew he was there because he passed him earlier. I think that is how Heavenly Father helps and directs us. He knows what is around the corner in our lives and if we listen {to His means of communication with us} we will be guided safely through our lives.

Anyway, I've decided to make a guideline for my priorities including the things pertaining to my family, home, and self; like a chart on microsoft excell. I will also come up with a goal for every week to help me do better so I can be prepared to weather the storms in life whatever they may be. What kinds of guidelines, priorities, or goals do you have that are really helpful???


2 comments:

i said...

Since I'm reading the Book of Mormon in Alma 42 about war...and being prepared! I always feel excited when I know the Lord's people are prepared, both physically and mentally. I want to be too. I finally got a years supply of wheat I just need to add the other stuff. The spiritual part...continually doing the little things every day and not letting the yucky stuff in.

Kevin and Natali McKee said...

In Ward Conference a couple of weeks ago, they talked about The Perfect Storm. That a very disastrous Storm that rarely happens, is coming our way, and it was all about preparedness. I am still working on that though.