I drove up to Aunt Paula's funeral Monday night with the kidlets while Benj stayed home to work. Aunt Paula is a wonderful and strong (in a gentle way) woman who raised some great children who are pretty much all adults now. She impacted everyone who knew her by her steadfast and caring example. I knew that I would be able to continue learning from her if I attended her funeral and was willing to go the extra 350 miles to do so. Having planned a funeral and spoken at one myself, I realize how important they are. I also believe that as part of the process going from this life to the next, each one of us is required to attend our own funeral and I wanted to feel her spirit again. She was her husband and children's best friend and it was so difficult for all of them to let her go. I think about everyone who lived before us and how each generation was sad to lose the previous one, but that in only 50 short years they would be reunited again in the afterlife. Then they have all eternity to be together.Speaking of reuniting, my parents just got back from their mission in Jakarta Indonesia and this was the first time I saw them. I was a few minutes behind in getting to the chapel. I located mom and dad, tip-toed to their pew, and knelt down beside it. They scooted down then my mom leaned over and gave me a kiss first thing. My dad rode with me to the dedication of the grave and that was very special to me. I love to feel loved by my parents. I'm so proud of them for going on a mission and I'm so glad they are home. It was good to be with family and extended family. 


I stayed with my cute sister-in-law, Larae Merrit. She welcomed me and the children into her very tidy home and we spent two nights there. It was fun for Elijah and Rachel to play with their cousins. The Merrit kids also loved playing with Baby Tiffany. I enjoyed hanging out with Larae because she is one of those who you know is a chosen daughter of God. She motivates me to aspire to be better... between her personal appearance and conduct, her soft manner in which she mothers, and the Spirit of her home. 




Ben was also missed while we were gone. I'm happy to be home now and see him. We are going to the ball field tonight to play softball with our ward. Whether family or ward family, close or far, we are all united.
2 comments:
audrey i loved it so much when you surprised me and came and sat by me at the funeral. it's been way too long since we've seen each other! let's get our kids together once i get back to vegas. i really want you to come see our new house.
i totally agree with all the things you said about paula, family, and life after death.
love you!
cat
I second the Larae comments! Great woman! I'm so glad you got to see your parents again! I also agree with what you said about funerals...I even enjoy them. Very therapeutic!
Post a Comment