Thursday, April 16, 2009

Real Heroes

Elijah was watching Spiderman last night while I was cooking dinner and as he was, a thought crossed my mind. Spiderman went after the guy that killed his Uncle Ben and when the murderer asked for another chance, Spiderman's response was, "Did you give my uncle another chance?" I thought, "Spiderman is portrayed as a brave hero yet he is involved in so much violence and the lesson here is definately not one on forgiveness." Even though Spiderman is a well-known and well-liked comic book and modern-day action hero, I didn't like the message that was being passed to my son. I try my best to have the Spirit invited into our home daily.
I was listening to a conference talk on CD and whoever was speaking said that a bird has a nest and a fox has a hole, but there was none for the baby Jesus. And He welcomes all to come unto Him as He stands at the door and knocks. In my last post I was feeling pretty down and when I heard this contrasting reminder of the Savior's life, I reflected on how unglorious His earthly life was. He was really treated poorly and went through various trials but He still helped and healed people. No matter how yucky of a day or week I personally have, I will never descend below Christ. I'm SO grateful for Him; He is my real hero.

4 comments:

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

I agree on the hero thing. The heroeos of today are glorified, yet sometimes don't have the best qualities. That is why I chose the theme for my boy's room as Book of Mormon Heroes. I want them to know what it means to be a true hero, someone who has integrity and will fight for what they believe in.

Anonymous said...

Spiderman regrets his choices later...like many other heroes. Heroes all have their weakness...just like us. I think we are all heroes to others and I know for a fact I have friends that are my heroes but are far from perfect. I know Heavenly Father has made it clear in the scriptures that the only person that was perfect was Christ.

Allison Juarez said...

Hey Audry! You had a home improvement type magazine at your house that I was looking at while I was watching the kids a couple weeks ago. I was wondering what the name of it was. It was a great magazine, and I want to buy a copy of it.

Tiffany said...

Audrey your home must totally have the spirit at all times! Seriously......reading your posts makes me want to have MORE of the spirit in it. You are such an example to me and everyone around ya!
HOLY heck.... I can't believe Rachel put the car in neutral!! I would have died!