Wednesday, November 26, 2008

How Will You Use Your Blessings and Talents?

It seems to me that besides reading scriptures and praying daily, there are a few other things I must do to feel like I am living up to and growing further in my personal potential.
Going on the blogs regularly is one of them. I believe that blogs are the modern day social life and network for LDS women. We are all sisters in the gospel and members of the Relief Society. We need each other, strengthen and uplift one another, and teach through our examples. It has been since Nov. 7th that I have been on the computer and I have felt a little lonely. Okay, a lot lonely. Reading my friends and family's blogs fulfills that need. (If I do not have your blog on my sidebar, please leave it for me.)
The other daily must is to get up early and do the hair and makeup. This may be a silly thought, but I'm a newly-made bishop's wife and I'm experimenting with what works... I thought I should look more natural and mature so I started leaving my hair wet to dry natural and applying less make-up to look natural. It looked good for about two days for a change and then I just looked tired and unkept. My patriarchal blessing says I "will have particular success with the youth... they will love me for my beauty and counsel." I love that it says I have beauty. I consider that to be a blessing from Heavenly Father to do His work. People pay attention to beauty. I was reading in Ether today about Orihah's grandson Corihor in the promised land. Corihor rebelled and went to another land. He had sons and daughters who became exceedingly fair and drew away many people. I know that in today's world, much importance is placed on personal appearance and much worth and respect is given to the "world's beautiful". Where there is opposition in all things, beauty is also given for the purpose of good. I have been given an opportunity to play the narrator in the Ten Virgins between two wards in my stake. The chance I have is to be on a stage and radiate the beauty of the message in this parable. Do you think others who see will be drawn in? I do.
I think I need to make the most of my talents and belssings and not dress down each day. I think that the world doesn't have beauty only, but that Latter-Day-Saint women possess a great degree of strength and beauty. I really like what Nelson Mandela said,
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure; it is our Light, not our darkness that frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are born to make manifest the Glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.And as we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."
Isn't that neat? I love that quote, and I want to feel better about myself. I want to get through the stressful days feeling good about myself, my efforts, and my works. To always be prepared for standing in the spotlight. We are in a spiritual war. If the world thinks you have to live a certain lifestyle to be beautiful, I want to be an example of just how beautiful a woman can really be. That includes doing my hair and makeup AND having three small children circling around me. I'm not trying to be a superwoman and do everything. Sheri Dew said, "The Lord communicates His will through a still, small voice; Lucifer is the master of noise, commotion, and confusion." I think simplifying your life leads to happiness. It doesn't take much to wake up 30 minutes early and take care of the blessings you have recieved, but it sure makes a difference.

8 comments:

Lesli Ray said...

Your words are so wondrful and inspirational. You are beautiful inside and out. Everytime I hear you sing the shopkeeper song I want to cry. You sound like an angel singing. Thank you for sharing your talents with us!

K said...

I love that quote...it's extremely inspiring. That's cool too that Ben is now a bishop!! =) Love it! Kali

Anonymous said...

I love my blog friends. My family doesn't even bother to read what I write. My friends give me that added blessing in my life. I love to laugh, feel inspired, and just see my friends personality through each individual blog. Oh, and Audrey there is nothing like a beautiful LDS woman who is modest and a mother. And she can look just as beautiful in Target brands.

1..2..3..Painter Team said...

You are an inspirational woman-I love your comment about beauty & using it for good. You are absolutely right& I think a times you forget about your beauty. Liked the quote too very moving.

i said...

sooooo true audrey...i love blogland filled with wonderful women like you! i'm so proud of you. and glad you stated a blog!

Mhari said...

Audrey,

I'm so glad you put that on here about how it doesn't take long to just do it. I think so many times in the church people forget about that because they get so caught up in trying to be this perfect family that they forget to look in the mirror and use the beauty that we were all given. I appreciate your blog too. I'm not so good at always commenting but I keep up with the posts. BTW I didn't see mine on here so here is my blog address. http://www.flugervillefun.blogspot.com/

Tiffany said...

Hands down to you!! You said the truth All the way! I love it!!! I agree so much with blogs,beauty,hair make-up and so much more! Blogs are really an amazing blessing! Thanks so much and congrats on being a bishops wife!!! You are so awesome for posting that!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

So true, so true. I always feel so much better after I have taken care of myself. Some people say it is vain, but I don't think so. How can people think we are happy if we look tired and unkept.

I love the Ten Virgins program. We just did it for our RS Birthday dinner. I was Gabriella. It was such a blessing to be part of it.